Chicken spices in this recipe are based on a recipe by food writer Madhur Jaffrey, an authority on Indian cooking. Serve chicken curry with steamed rice.
- 3 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 400g Turk's free range chicken thigh fillets skinless
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- salt to taste
- 2 stalks fresh curry leaves
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 handfuls spinach leaves, washed and stems removed
- Place the oil in a wide heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and cook for 20-30 seconds. Add the onion and cook until lightly golden. Add the garlic, ginger, chicken, paprika, salt and curry leaves. Stir well to coat the chicken in the spices.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook chicken at a low simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized frying pan. Place the spinach in the pan without adding more water and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the spinach has wilted.
- Remove the lid from the chicken, add the coconut milk and stir until hot. (If the sauce is too thin for you, remove the chicken and boil the sauce down a little).
- Add the wilted spinach to the chicken before serving.
Suggested chicken Turk's free range chicken thigh fillets (skinless)
Alternative chicken Turk's free range breast fillets, tenderloins