A family favourite. Serve chicken meatballs with cooked pasta and a steamed green vegetable.
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds ground
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander ground
- 80g pancetta, diced
- 450g Turk's free range chicken breast mince
- 1/2 fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano leaves or sweet marjoram leaves, plus extra to garnish, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup seasoned flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 400g cherry tomatoes
- Freshly grated parmesan for sprinkling
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, deep frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the chilli and spices and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the pancetta and cook for a further 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Place the chicken mince, breadcrumbs and herbs in a bowl and mix well. Season and stir in the cooled onion mixture. Form chicken mixture into 18-20 small balls.
- Place the flour on a large plate and flour each meatball. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium heat. In batches, pan-fry the meatballs until lightly browned, transferring to a plate as you go.
- Wipe out the frying pan with kitchen paper. Return meatballs to the pan and pour over the chicken stock. Cover and simmer gently until the meatballs are cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove the lid, taste for seasoning and add the cherry tomatoes. Cook until the tomato skins just start to split then remove from the heat.
- Serve chicken meatballs sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Or you could – cut cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise and semi roast in the oven (130°C) until they begin to dry and shrink.
Turk's free range chicken mince
Turk's free range chicken breast fillets (diced)